Wednesday, October 29, 2014

An Open Letter to My Children


I have written this post for my children and for all those in the generations to come.

Whenever elections come around I think of my mom.  Whenever there is an opportunity to exercise my right to vote it is a given that I will get a call from my mom. Since my college days she calls me before the election to ensure that I know where to vote and then afterwards to confirm that I have voted.  So this Sunday afternoon I took advantage of early voting and made my way to the closest voting location.  There were only a few cars in the parking lot and no line inside the building.  I asked if they had had many voters and they said it had been steady.  My observation of the voter turn out was slow and steady.  I voted and left with a sense of patriotic pride, knowing that I had acted on a right to express my opinion, my beliefs, and my values.  But, my pride soon turned to a deep sense of sadness as I thought of that sparse parking lot.  Where were all the people?  Why were they not taking advantage of this great freedom and right to choose our leaders and express our will concerning how our country is governed? Then I realized that this is an indication of a greater problem – an apathy and complacency to be informed of truth and a fear of speaking out the truth we profess to believe. 

Just as my mom was faithful to instruct and encourage me to use my right to vote, I desire to faithfully encourage and instruct my children and future grandchildren to know the truth and then to boldly believe it, live it, and speak it.  Jesus told His disciples, “What I tell you in the darkness, speak in the light; and what you hear whispered in your ear, proclaim upon the housetops.  Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul . . . Therefore, everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven.  But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.”  (Matthew 10:27,28,32)

Just as the mother of King Lemuel taught her son, I proclaim to my children to “Open your mouth for the mute, for the rights of all the unfortunate.  Open your mouth, judge righteously, and defend the rights of the afflicted and needy.” (Proverbs 31:8-9) My passion is simmering as I write these words – a passion to see my children walk and talk the truth.  In Ecclesiastes it says, “There is a time to be silent and a time to speak.” (Ecclesiastes 3:7) In order to speak out concerning your faith, you must first be silent enough to learn what it is you believe!  Silence before the Lord is a necessary discipline if you truly want to know Him and make Him known. 

Paul, as Timothy’s spiritual father, instructed him with these words, “Be a good servant of Christ Jesus, constantly nourished on the words of the faith and of the sound doctrine . . . have nothing to do with worldly fables fit for old women.  On the other hand, discipline yourself for the purpose of godliness, for bodily discipline is only of little profit, but godliness is profitable for all things, since it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.” (1 Timothy 4:6-8) I echo these words to my children and to all those in the generations to come that they would be life long students of the Word of God, who live out what they learn and boldly speak in defense of His truth.  Life really is not about how many causes you can get behind, but it is about hearing His voice, learning His truth and living your life for His cause.  I will have no greater joy and delight than in seeing and hearing you walk in The Truth. 



Time is short, life is brief, live it loudly for the Lord!  I pray that each time you have an opportunity to speak up for the cause of Christ, you will not shrink back, but will speak the truth in love.  I also hope you will think of me and hear my voice saying, “Press on to know Him in silence and speak of Him with boldness.”  

Truth in Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment