Thursday, October 9, 2014

How God Breaks Through


Like a father sends a son off to college, so Isaac blessed his son, Jacob and gave him final instructions before sending him off into the unknown world. For the first time he was leaving his home, his family and his comfort to travel into an unknown future. His first night on the road he set up camp in an unfamiliar place and found a large stone to use as his pillow for the night. Once asleep, Jacob had a dream in which the Lord came to him and blessed him by passing on to him the covenant that He had made with Abraham and Isaac.  He then promised Jacob that He would be with him wherever he would go, provide for his needs and would bring him back to his home. What a comforting dream to have in the middle of nowhere when everything before him seemed so uncertain. I wonder if Jacob recalled the words of his father’s blessing when he awoke from his dream?

Then Jacob awoke from his sleep and said, “Surely the Lord is in this place, and I did not know it.” He was afraid and said, “How awesome is this place! This is none other than the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.”
Genesis 28:16-17

Jacob was in a bit of a crisis. He must have been physically exhausted from his first day’s journey, but also emotionally drained after saying goodbye to everything he had ever known.  In the midst of his crisis God broke through with His grace. The Lord always breaks into our lives at the point of our need.  It is only when we recognize our need and are open to His provision that we will experience His awe-inspiring grace.  It was when Jacob was asleep that the Lord came to him and spoke blessings over him.  The Lord, in Psalm 46:10 says, "Be still and know that I am God."  After a night of stillness, the Lord came to Jacob in a dream and when he awoke he declared that the Lord was with him.  It took a crisis and stillness in order to recognize God’s presence. In that moment an unfamiliar place became a very significant place. 

I can so relate to Jacob. I remember several times leaving a place of comfort, all that was familiar to begin a new journey of unknowns.  Going to college as a young woman, moving across the country with my husband and pregnant with my first child, and then recently finding myself in an empty nest in Texas with both children living in California, are just a few of my crisis moments.  Each time though, the Lord showed up!  When the Lord showed up in Jacob’s life, he constructed a memorial, as a way to remember God’s intervention.  His intervention changed an unfamiliar place into a significant place, because the Lord broke through there in his time of need.  I have stacks of journals with memorials written in response to God working in and through a crisis situation.  He has faithfully confirmed to me His presence, His provision, and His knack of turning things around in my life.

It has been in those crisis moments in unfamiliar places where I have been brought to my knees.  Whenever I have cried out to the Lord, He has graciously answered me with His grace.  He has picked me up from huge stumbles, comforted me in my loneliness, and redirected me when I was caught up in self-indulgences.  Whenever I am tempted to go down the path of self-pity and self-condemnation, I look around my house for memorials that remind me of God’s faithfulness to break in to my need. 

There is the printed plaque beside my chair in our sun room that says, “what if we practiced courage every single day?” which reminds me of a crisis moment when the Lord called me to care for my mom as she battled cancer.  God showed up and gave me courage to do things beyond my ability.  There is the nail in one of my journals that is a memorial to when God showed up and rescued my son from a path of deception and untruths.  The nail was found on my son’s bed the day I prayed and asked God to turn him back to truth.  It is a reminder that Jesus was nailed to the Cross so that His truth would reign over and demolish the lies and deception of the evil one. There is also a hammer that sits on my desk with the words of Jeremiah 23:29, “Is not my word like fire, like a hammer that breaks a rock in pieces.”  This is a memorial to the Lord to remind me of the day I committed to memorize scripture for the rest of my life.  I committed to hide His word in my heart because I realized that I did not have wisdom or strength of my own to make it through times of crisis.  I need God to show up daily to confirm His presence, His provision, and His wonderful way of turning the impossible into the possible.

Thank you Lord for showing up in my times of crisis with your amazing grace. May I ever live to build memorials to you, so that others will ask, “What is that for?”  I will be quick to respond, “That is a reminder of how God broke into my life at my point of need with His grace.” 

Instead of the thornbush will grow the pine tree, and instead of briers the myrtle will grow.  This will be for the Lord’s renown (a memorial), for an everlasting sign, which will not be destroyed. Isaiah 55:13

Build a memorial today and be reminded of God breaking through in your life.  If you are in a time of desperate need or crisis, then be still before the Lord and anticipate His arrival.  He will show up. 

By His Grace,
Nancy 


No comments:

Post a Comment