Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Bless the Lord – It’s My Birthday!


I woke up this morning a year older!  With all that is going on in our world I was tempted to just skip my birthday and write another posting about trouble!  But then I recalled the words of truth that says, “In everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”  (1 Thessalonians 5:18)  So today I am celebrating my birthday by giving thanks and choosing to set my eyes, heart and mind on all the good ways in which the Lord has satisfied and blessed me. 


Bless the LORD, O my soul,
And all that is within me,
Bless His holy name.
Bless the LORD, O my soul,
And forget none of His benefits;
Who pardons all your iniquities,
Who heals all your diseases;
Who redeems your life from the pit,
Who crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion;
Who satisfies your years with good things,
So that your youth is renewed like the eagle.
Psalm 103:1-5

I am eternally grateful for not only my birthday, but also my re-birthday!  I was born again some 48 years ago and after a prodigal experience the Lord led me back into His arms and I have enjoyed His glorious riches ever since!  He truly does restore the years the locusts have eaten!  I am thankful for Jesus and salvation.  I have a hope for eternity and I am enjoying even now the riches of His glorious inheritance.  He pardons all your iniquities, heals all your diseases and redeems you life from the pit. 

I am celebrating 58 years of life today.  You could say it is my second anniversary of my 29th birthday!  As I wrote that I realized that I have a son who celebrated his 29th birthday this past January.  So, I will continue my birthday thanksgiving list by giving thanks to the Lord for my children!  I have two wonderful children and the blessing of having a daughter-in-law as well!  Each one loves the Lord, loves people and they all have jobs!  Bless the Lord, O my soul and forget none of His benefits!

I have been interrupted several times while writing this post with telephone calls wishing me a happy birthday.  My mom called at 5:30 am, my daughter while I was on the treadmill, followed by a call by her boyfriend and then from a dear friend.   After the calls a knock at my door revealed a beautiful flower bouquet from my son and his wife! These were wonderfully welcomed interruptions. I am thankful for family and friends who have brightened my day and my life.  He has satisfied my years with good things. 

My husband has been so excited about the birthday gift he got me that it was even delivered about a month early.  This morning he opened the box to reveal my new kayak!  I had told him I would go fishing with him if he bought me a kayak.  We live in a condo, so where will I put a kayak?  Well, it is a special kayak that folds up to the size of a large suitcase when stored!  I love it and am looking forward setting out on an early morning in my kayak to spend time on the bay with the Lord . . . and William of course!  So, today I am very thankful for my husband, who loves to give me good gifts, so that my youth is renewed like the eagle.

My birthday, being in early September, historically brings hurricanes into the Gulf.  I have spent a few birthdays either gathering hurricane supplies or driving north in hopes of escaping the high winds and storm surge.  Today there are a few clouds overhead, but I am choosing this day to focus not on the storm, but on the blessings. Proverbs 15:15 says, “All the days of the afflicted are bad, but the cheerful heart has a continual feast.”  Instead of looking at the storm that brews overhead and the storms that are brewing all over the world, my eyes are fixed on a continual satisfying feast of good things with which the Lord has filled my life. Bless the Lord, O my soul and all that is within me, bless His holy name!

It may not be your birthday today, but I invite you to celebrate with me the good things the Lord has brought into your life.  If you join me, I promise a continual feast.  Let’s party!

Birthday Blessings!
Nancy


No comments:

Post a Comment