Thursday, September 11, 2014

What’s Crouching At Your Door?


 “Then the Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen?  If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up?  And if you do not do well sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it.”  Genesis 4:6-7

A few years ago (November, 2010) I wrote a posting on this blog, called, “Help! I am stuck in my lesson and I can’t get out.”  Now, in 2014 I find myself again stuck in my lesson!  Each week as I begin studying for the lesson I am to teach on Sunday I pray, asking God to allow me to apply whatever I am learning to my life first before I teach its truths.  God is always faithful to give me plenty of opportunities each week to apply what it is I am studying.  At times I literally feel like I am living out what I am about to teach. 

Two weeks ago I finished teaching through the book of Romans, which ends with Paul’s instructions to:  
  • Be alert to those who would cause division among you.      
  • Turn away from them.
  • Be wise in what is good and innocent in what is evil. 

His promise to us when we follow these instructions is that, “the God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet.”   (Romans 16:17-20)

This past week I began studying and teaching through a new series.  While in Kenya on a mission trip I noticed that just about every home, church, and school had a gate that guarded its entrance.  As I noticed the gates, Jesus’ words in John 10:9-10 kept going through my mind: “I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved, He will come in and go out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal, kill and destroy.  I have come that they may have life and have it to the full.”  (NIV)  It was then that I decided I would like to do a word study on gates.  I looked up the words gate, door, gateway and doorway in my concordance and was amazed at how often these words were used.  So, I asked one of our volunteer photographers on our trip to take pictures of any gates she saw.  After the trip she sent me a CD of fifty-one pictures of gates!  So I began to study gates as well as its synonym, door.  The first verse listed was Genesis 4:7, which I have been studying for a couple of weeks: “ If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up?  And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at your door; and its desire is for you, but you must mater it.”  (NAS)  Needless to say, sin has been crouching at my door and testing me to see if I will give in to it or master it.

A dog outside a gate in Kenya. (Photo by Peggy Bain)
Recently I have found myself dealing with a conflict that has caused me much grief.  I have had to be alert to someone trying to cause division and am seeking to turn away from them.  In my study of Genesis 4:7 I hear the Lord’s voice speaking directly to me:  “Nancy, you can either choose to bless or to curse, to extend grace or be offended, to love or to hate.  Are you going to obey My voice or are you going to give in to your natural instincts to become angry and say something you shouldn’t?”  At this point I am holding my tongue and seeking to do well.  Mastering sin is not easy and in fact it is impossible on our own! 

This morning as I was having my devotions the next-door neighbors dog began to bark incessantly.  Usually the dog will bark as he sees his master pull out of the driveway leaving him behind.  But, after a minute or so, he quits the barking and goes back to his patio, curls up and goes to sleep.  But this morning it was different.  His barking was beginning to make me angry!  I tapped on the window hoping to quiet him down.  But his barking continued and even became louder and more urgent in its sound.  I got up and walked over to the other window to see if I could find the cause of his barking.  I discovered a possum lying on top of the fence right above where the dog was barking. 

The possum was frozen in fear.  Then out of the corner of my eye I noticed the dog’s master walking toward the dog and the possum with a long stick.  He took the stick and nudged the possum from behind several times causing him to sliver quickly out of the situation.  The dog quit barking immediately and followed his master back inside the house.  As I went back and sat down again to finish my devotional time I reflected on what I just witnessed.  The possum found himself stuck in my lesson!  You see, that possum was like the sin that crouches outside our door trying to lure us into ungodly behavior.  The dog sensed an intruder in his yard and he was alerting his master to the evil that was lurking on top of his fence!  The master calmly comes in with a stick to shoo the evil possum away.  The dog couldn’t do it no matter how loudly and urgently he barked.  The evil would only retreat when the master came and used His presence to send him packing. 

What a visual of Genesis 4:7!  There has been an opportunity for me to open the door to sin these past few weeks.  I have been praying daily and seeking His guidance through reading and praying His Word.  I have cried out many times to the Lord about this situation, just like a barking dog.  After resisting the enemy’s temptation to be angry and sin, my Master Jesus has come in and shooed that crouching possum of sin away!  I am learning that our part in mastering sin is to be alert to the temptation, cry out to God in prayer asking Him to lead us out of the temptation and into His powerful presence by taking up the sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God.  I cannot master sin on my own, no matter how loudly I bark.  But, if I keep barking and keep seeking my master – The God of peace will soon crush Satan under my feet!  (Romans 16:20) 

If you find sin crouching at your door today, cry out to God and take hold of His promises!  Be alert, get help, and step away from the door of tempting sin.  Your Master, Jesus, will step in and bring you into His pasture where you will find a life full of peace.   

Keep Barking!
Nancy 

No comments:

Post a Comment