Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Don’t Lose Heart!


As I write this posting I am tempted to give up before I even get started.  I am feeling puny physically, which makes me anxious as I prepare to leave in the morning for two weeks away.  I have so looked forward to a trip that will include stops in Colorado, Arizona and then California.  Mentally, physically and spiritually I need rest, refreshment, and revival.  I feel I am on the brink of a burn out.

As I spent time with the Lord this morning I was reminded of a verse that one of the young women I mentor mentioned to me yesterday in 2 Corinthians 4.  So, as I read through that chapter, my eyes went straight to the phrase, “ we do not lose heart” found in the very first verse.  I grabbed hold of the truth, as I felt my heart loosening from my grip.  As I did a little word study I discovered that “lose heart,” or “give up” as the NIV states, comes from the Greek words en, meaning in, and from kakos, meaning bad.  The definition went on to explain that to lose heart means “to give in to trouble, to become exasperated by difficulty, be defeated in spirit, discouraged, or faint-hearted, to despair, or lose heart.”  (The Key Word Study Bible, NIV)  That definition was spot on in describing how I have been feeling lately. 

Jesus, in Luke 18:1, told the disciples a parable to encourage them to not lose heart in prayer when the answer is slow to come. In 2 Corinthians 4:1 Paul says that because of God’s mercy he does not lose heart in serving through ministry.  Paul also encourages believers to not give up when those you love go through trials.  (Ephesians 3:13)  Again Paul’s famous words to, “not grow weary in doing good” comes with the promise that if we don’t give up we will “reap a harvest” of life rather than destruction. (Galatians 6:9)  Finally, Paul brings 2 Corinthians 4 to a close by encouraging us to not lose heart when the burdens of this life increase for us because they are first of all temporary and most importantly they will never compare to the glory that not losing heart or giving up will produce when we trust Him to carry them for us.  (2 Corinthians 4:16)

So whether we are weary because of ministry, trials, unanswered prayers, in doing good or bearing burdens let us be quick to hear the Lord whispering today, “Come to me all who are weary and heavy-laden and I will give you rest.  Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls.  For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”  (Matthew 11:28-30) As you listen for His comforting voice today, also “Consider Him who endured such opposition from sinful man, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.” (Hebrews 12:3)   Christ ministered though weary, endured rejection though doing good, and walked forward toward a sure death because He knew the One who would bring power over death, destruction, and weariness. As I look forward to celebrating Easter the encouragement to not lose heart rings in my ears.  If Jesus endured the temporary, yet life-taking opposition from sinful man to provide for me peace with God for eternity, then I choose today, to not lose heart, but to bow before the Lord Jesus and soak in His power, presence and peace.  Let’s not give up, give in, or lose heart, but let us remain steadfast, eyes on Jesus, resting in His unfailing arms of mercy.  (I am feeling better already!)


Revived!
Nancy 

3 comments:

  1. School is not going so great and my mindset is not well. I want to give up. I will not lose heart. I need this today! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. J. William and I will be praying for you! Galatians 6:9 Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so encouraging and is exactly what I need to hear today. Don't lose heart and be defeated by troubles. Hide in His Spirit and in His presence. Thank you Nancy. Hope you experience the wonderful presence of The Lord as you seek and rest in Him.

    ReplyDelete