Thursday, April 17, 2014

Hope for the Future


Over the last couple of weeks I have had the opportunity to be around young single adults and I have been encouraged by their eagerness to learn Biblical truth.  This fuels my desire even more to pour into the next generation!  As I was thinking about these young singles I saw the truths of First Timothy 1:5 being lived out.  “But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. “  As I reflected on my time with two different groups of singles, one group from Houston, Texas and another from Venice, California I saw three similarities: 
  •         Love from a pure heart.  I saw a desire in these young single adults for holiness.  They were pursuing godliness rather than riches and fame. 
  •     A good conscience.   These young believers had an eagerness to do the right thing according to Biblical truth, even if it cost them financially.
  •      A sincere faith.  Authenticity is highly valued among this generation of young believers.  They can sniff out insincerity pretty quickly!

As I look over this list of goals the Apostle Paul set out to accomplish through his teaching, I am motivated once again to press on in my passion to teach and train the next generation.  My heart cries out even more, “Even when I am old and gray, O Lord, do not forsake me till I declare you power to the next generation, you might to all who are to come.”  (Psalm 71:18)    I so want to relate with Paul’s words in Philippians 2:17, “Even if I am being poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I rejoice and share my joy with you all.”   Life on earth is short, a breath compared to eternity.  My desire is to pour all I have into the next generation, helping to raise a harvest of righteousness and peace that will long outlive me. 

My encouragement to whoever reads this posting is to be intentional with the ripples you are leaving in this life.  Jesus as he prepared to go to the cross, left Peter, James and John while he went to pray, asking only that they would remain there and keep watch.  They failed Christ by falling asleep while He poured out his agony before the Father in prayer.  When Jesus found them asleep, He said to them, “Keep watching and praying that you may not come into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”  (Mark 14:38)  My prayer just this morning as I meditated on Jesus’ words was, “My desire O Lord is to have my eyes and heart wide open to what You would have me do minute by minute. Help me keep watching and standing guard with this young generation.”  Let’s keep watching and praying as we continue to follow Christ’s example and lead the next generation to steadfastly seek pure hearts, good consciences, and sincere faith. 

Pouring Out,
Nancy




No comments:

Post a Comment