Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Lessons in the Desert


While on a bit of a sabbatical from teaching Bible study and a vacation from life as usual, I have enjoyed the mountains of Colorado and now am experiencing a totally different desert environment. We hiked up Pinnacle Peak in Scottsdale, Arizona, which is a granite summit that rises 600 feet from the desert floor and can be seen from much of the Valley.  While on this hike I took some pictures and made some observations, as I sought to apply the truth of Proverbs 24:32, “I applied my heart to what I observed and I learned a lesson from what I saw.”  

These are some things I saw on my desert hike: 

Huge boulders cluttered the landscape. These boulders were sturdy enough to sit on, lean against and even walk on top of, yet we did notice cracks on some of the boulders that had formed over time.  These rocks reminded me of the Lord being my Rock and my Refuge. "He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress, I shall not be shaken. On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."  (Psalm 62:6-7) The earthly rocks of our lives, like our jobs, our homes, and even our friends will crack and crumble over time.  But our God is a forever Rock in whom we can trust for eternity to never crack or fail us in the midst of a desert experience.  


All along the trail cactus seemed to be raising their arms toward heaven.  Were they calling out for water perhaps on this hot April morning?  Or maybe they stood in a worship position, ready to praise their Creator.  Isaiah proclaims that "the mountains and the hills break forth with shouts of joy before you and the trees of the fields clap their hands." (Isaiah 55:12)  In Romans, Paul says that all of creation yearns for Jesus, the Living Water, to return satisfying our thirst forever.  On this warm morning hike I am reminded to lift my hands to Him in praise and in petition, calling on the One who will satisfy my every need. 

As we trudged along the trail we noticed the desert was a sea of khaki with even the buildings blending into nature's decor. From time to time my eye would catch a brilliant orange or pink blossom coming out of the barren ground.  The desert is mentioned many times in scripture. One such passage is in Isaiah 43:19, “Behold, I will do something new; now it will spring forth; will you not be aware of it?  I will even make a roadway in the wilderness, rivers in the desert.”  We must not become overwhelmed with the monotonous shades of khaki in our lives, but be looking for the new thing He wants to do.  In those spiritual deserts persistence is needed to stay on the trail, keeping our eyes focused on the Lord, who is at work doing something amazingly new.  Will you be aware of it?  

We spotted this cactus who was a hug waiting to happen!  The cactus "arm" was reaching out as if to say, "Hugs anyone?"  So much of the time we are looking for a way out of a desert and not looking to embrace it!  However, scripture gives us instructions on how to embrace desert times in our lives:  “Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.”  (James 1:2-4) On our hike today, I decided to embrace the moment and take in the scenery and look for the lessons God had for me. If you find yourself on a hike in the desert today, remember:


  • God is your Rock and Refuge in whom you can depend.
  • Practice praising the Lord and calling on Him to sustain you.
  • Be aware that God is doing something new in the midst of your daily desert.
  • Embrace the desert with joy knowing that if you stay on the trail it will take you straight to Him!  


Making the Climb Count!
Nancy 






















No comments:

Post a Comment