Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Pay Attention



The Lord has been whispering in my ear, “Pay attention.” Those two words have repeatedly come to mind throughout this week as I have read scripture and as I noticed them printed on a bookmark I recently placed in my journal, which reads, “The beauty of life lives inside the smallest of moments – (Pay attention).”

“Pay attention!” I often reminded my fourth grade students.  No matter how many times I said it there would usually be a handful of students who would fail at a task simply because they hadn’t paid attention to the directions.  Have you ever filled out a form in cursive handwriting using ink and afterward discovered that you were supposed to print the information using a pencil?  Recently I was ordering something online for someone’s birthday and realized I would need to expedite the shipping in order for the gift to get there on time.  I spent a good hour filling out all the information and clicked on the “purchase” button. Then as I checked over the receipt with the completed order, which I should have done prior to clicking  “purchase,” I noticed that I failed to check the express shipping box and the gift would possibly not make it in time for her birthday! I had to go back, cancel the first order, fill out a new order, paying careful attention to check the correct shipping method and finally clicked on the button labeled: “purchase!”  Time wasted simply because I did not pay attention to the crucial shipping method box!  If only I had paid attention the first time I filled it out, I could have gone to bed an hour earlier. 

The Lord reminded the Israelites in Isaiah 48:17-18 “I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.  If only you had paid attention to my commands, your peace would have been like a river, your righteousness like the waves of the sea.”    Paid attention in the text refers to the Hebrew word, Qasab, and means, to listen, give heed, or pay attention.  The truth of this scripture is so relevant for our lives today. When we hear the truth, and obediently pay attention to God’s Word and His Promises we will experience His peace.  That is the peace that goes beyond explanation or understanding. (Philippians 4:7) It is a peace that guards and protects us from living out “If only” moments. Paying attention to God’s promises will bring strong peace of mind and build strong character.

The writer of Hebrews warns, “We must pay more careful attention therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away.” (Hebrews 2:1) If we fail to pay attention to the truth we have heard in the past then we tend to wander away from the path God has for us. We drift aimlessly through life and accomplish very little of all God has planned for us.  When I direct my attention to the truths, warnings, and encouraging words that people have spoken to me in the past it helps me to persevere in whatever it is God has called me to do.  Paying attention produces perseverance, which results in greater faith.  After Jesus was raised from the dead, His disciples recalled something prophetic Jesus had said prior to His death on the cross, which led them to believe Scripture and the words that Jesus had spoken to them earlier.  (John 2:22)  Recall leads to reclaimed faith and a refocused life.

Last Sunday, the power went out as our pastor was making an important point in his message.  People, without hesitation, began turning on their cell phones as if attending a candlelight service. The light of the phones enabled us to see in the unexpected darkness.  Within a few minutes the power was restored and the light shone brightly once again, as Pastor Gregg took up where he had left off.   Sudden darkness takes us by surprise and often we panic rather than reach for an accessible light.  Peter encourages believers to pay attention to the Word in the same way you pay attention to a light shining in a dark place.  (2 Peter 1:19)  “And we have the word of the prophets made more certain, and will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts.” If you find yourself in an especially difficult or dark place, keep your eyes on the Light.  “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” (Psalm 119:105)  His Word directs us in the dark times.  Jesus promises that whoever believes in Him, the Light of the world, will never walk in darkness, but will always have the One who illuminates life.  (John 8:12)  So, as one who has been redeemed by the Light of the World we are encouraged to let our light shine before all men in such a way that they may see our good works and glorify our heavenly Father.  (Matthew 5:16) Our good work is simply paying attention to His Word, seeking Him in our dark times and believing that the Light will see us through.  In turn, those who are not just walking through a dark time, but are dark dwellers may see His light reflected in us and be drawn to Him.

This week let’s pay attention to what is true, obey it, and without hesitation use it to light our dark and difficult places.  May others see the Light who illuminates our lives and be drawn to Him who gives peace, perseverance and purpose. 

Until the light dawns . . . 
Pay Attention,
Nancy




2 comments:

  1. Great blog! Thanks for writing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! So well said precious friend. I feel the Lord is quickening us all to pay attention to what is going on around us, to the people in front us and storing His word within us.

    ReplyDelete