Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Wherever Jesus is, There You Find It

I just returned from a tour of the Holy Land and am still trying to take in all that I saw and touched while there. Walking where our Lord Jesus walked, sailing on the sea where He walked on the water, and standing near the rock where He ascended into heaven were all overwhelming experiences.  If I could sum up my trip in one word it would be the word peace.

As I was preparing to go to Israel I was confronted with feelings of fear and anxiety because of the chaos in that part of the world.  To help combat these feelings I memorized, meditated on and prayed a specific scripture as I traveled:

"Like birds flying about, so will the Lord of hosts defend Jerusalem.  Defending, He will deliver it; passing over, He will preserve it."  Isaiah 31:5

Israel is precious to the Lord and He has promised to protect it, defend it and preserve it.  As I went there I claimed that truth and clung to it, believing that He would continue to defend and preserve Jerusalem, while I was there!

As we traveled from the airport to our hotel in Bethlehem a peace settled over me.  It was a peace that was indescribable.  That peace followed me throughout Jerusalem and when we went to the place of His ascension into heaven John 14:27 came rushing to my mind:

"Peace I leave you, My peace I give you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your heart be troubled and do not be afraid." 

As I stood there, I imagined Jesus saying those very words in that exact place.  Once more His perfect peace came rushing into my heart and mind as I sailed on the Sea of Galilee.  I could almost hear Jesus say to those frightened disciples in a storm tossed boat:
"Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid."  Matthew 14:27 

Our last stop was in Jericho which can be a dangerous place, but again I felt God's peace like never before.  Jesus spoke words of peace that echo through time to help us whenever we want to give in to fear, worry or anxiety.

I have told you these things so that in me you will have peace.  In this world you will have trouble, but take heart I have overcome the world.  John 16:33

In fact, in Philippians 4:5 the Apostle Paul says that the Lord is near and then reminds us that since He is near we should not be anxious about anything, but instead we should pray about everything! Jesus is as near to me in Houston as He was in Jerusalem.  When Jesus left this earth He reminded his disciples that He would not leave them alone, but would send the Helper, the Holy Spirit to be with them, to live in them, to remind them of His words and to empower them to overcome fear.  

If you are in need of peace today, take courage, Jesus is near, do not be afraid!  May His peace that goes beyond our understanding guard both your heart and your mind in Christ Jesus!  

Shalom,
Nancy 

William and me on the Sea of Galilee























No comments:

Post a Comment