Thursday, May 28, 2015

Mud Puddle Praise!

On Memorial Day my husband and I went for a walk at the park.  As you know we have had an abundance of rain and as a result the walking path was more like a cross-country running course than a walk in the park path!  The path was dotted with standing water that at times took up its entire width.  As soon as I would reach a nice power walking speed I would then be presented with a new water obstacle.  As I was dodging these mud puddles I noticed that there was a really nice concrete curb on both sides of the path that was perfect to practice my balance beam walking!    In the midst of my cross-country walk I was focused on praying for my family, friends and those I have the honor of teaching on Sunday mornings.  As I walked, I prayed. I prayed for those who were facing challenges in their lives. As I prayed through the obstacles the Lord would bring to mind a scripture that helped me through my present physical obstacle as well as the truth to pray on behalf of others experiencing their own physical, emotional or spiritual obstacle.  

I began to challenge myself to see how long I could walk on the raised curb without falling into the muddy water on one side or the water soaked grass on the other.  The more I focused on the mud and water the wobblier I got on my concrete balance beam. Then I decided to . . .

“Fix my eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of my faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” Hebrews 12:2

As I focused on the truth of that verse, my wobbling gave way to a steady and balanced walk past the mud. Ben Carson’s quote came to mind: “When a victim walks in the sand, he sees dirt, but when a victor walks through the sand he sees the ingredients for a sand castle.”  Attaining a balanced life is all about perspective and what we choose to dwell on. 

At the beginning of the walk I grumbled and whined to myself, “Why didn’t they build this path with better drainage?  Now I am going to get my shoes all muddy!  I am not going to be able to walk as fast as I want to, since I have to be more alert of the muddy obstacles. And by the way Lord, when is it ever going to quit raining?”  If the Lord would have spoken to me audibly I am sure He would have said something like, “Blah, blah, blah!  Whine, whine, whine!  Can’t you be thankful?”   The Lord brought to mind my friend, Ronda, who had a horrific accident this past year and woke up to a paralyzed body.  One moment she was fit, riding her bicycle at the start of a new day and then in the next moment, she was totally helpless.  She has come such a long way in her recovery due mostly to her attitude of gratitude.  I receive her prayer and progress updates weekly and have been beyond blessed and humbled by her godly and grateful attitude through it all.  So, as the Lord reminded me of Ronda, I began to thank Him that I had the ability to move, to breathe, to walk, to stop, to see, to feel the breeze and the heat of the sun.  2 Peter 1:3 popped into my mind,

“By His Divine power we have been given everything we need for life and for godliness through our knowledge of Him, who called us by His own glory and goodness.”

Yes, Lord!  You have given Ronda and me everything we need for life and for godliness – everything! For in you we live and move and have our being. (Acts 17:28)  A balanced beautiful life comes through gratitude.

The longer I walked the stronger I felt!  The mud puddles became opportunities to praise the Lord for being the cornerstone of my faith, my rock and the one whom I stand on, especially in those hard and messy times.  The Lord has been so very good to me.  I spent some years walking away from Him and chose to walk through some mud because of some very poor and selfish decisions.  Yet, when I came to my senses, broken hearted and beyond repair, the Lord lifted me out of the mud, He did not drag me through it! 

“He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.  He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God.  Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.”  Psalm 40:2-3

Are you on a messy walk, trying to navigate through some mud puddles in your life?  Fix your eyes on Jesus, the One who gives you life, who will lift you up out of the mud and put a new song of praise in your heart as He sets you gently on solid ground.  Then you will find what it truly means to live a balanced and beautiful life. 

Out of the mud . . .
Praising the Rock,

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment