Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Deadline Desperation

Have you ever missed a deadline?  If you have you know the sinking feeling that comes over you which soon becomes full blown panic.  I experienced such desperation this week when I discovered an unread email with the subject line:  “Resending: Important Update!”  Resending?  What?  Where is the first “Important Update?”  I searched a little further and found the original sent two weeks prior to the second.  Both email messages were lost amid over 500 messages that had come in while I was out of the country on a tour of Israel.  As I read through the message I discovered that there was an action required on my part by May 15th  at 5:00 pm, after which the “deal” would no longer be available.  It was now May 16th at 9:00 am, just 16 hours past the deadline.  I tried not to panic.  My "fix-it quick," survival mode kicked in.  I clicked on reply and sent an urgent email explaining my dilemma and asked for a deadline extension.  This was on a Saturday and so I waited with a hopeful expectation that they would extend grace to me come Monday.  

Early Monday morning I called to explain my dilemma and begged for mercy.  The answer was, “Sorry, but the deadline was May 15th at 5 pm and the “deal” is no longer available."   I asked if there was a grace period for special cases like mine.  “No,” she said without further explanation. I then asked to speak to a supervisor, but was told the supervisor was not available and she assured me that someone would call me back later.  Before hanging up I asked for her name.  “Grace,” came the answer. 

After the call ended, the tears began to flow and despair set in.  This “deal” was huge to me.  It concerned something God had called me to do and I had obeyed and finished.  Now all that work seemed to be for nothing – simply because I missed a deadline.  I prayed God’s favor to come through and waited for the supervisor ‘s call.   An hour later, my phone rang and after explaining again what had transpired she echoed the words of Grace saying that since it was past the deadline no “deal” would be made.  I proceeded to plead my case sighting some very good reasons why I deserved the company’s grace.  But there was no budging.  They were determination to stick with their deadline.   This was a devastating blow and a tough pill to swallow. 

A scripture that I quote often came to my mind the next morning.  “I applied my heart to what I observed and learned a lesson from what I saw.”  (Proverbs 24:32)  As I reflected on my deadline disaster the first thoughts that came to my mind were similar to the children’s book entitled, “The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day!” However those first thoughts were redirected to true, noble, right, and pure thoughts hidden deep in my heart – “All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.”  (Psalm 139: 16) God knew this day would happen because he created me, knows all about me and is very present with me in each and every day I have lived and will live in the future.  I also know Jeremiah 29:11 says that He has plans that will prosper me, give me hope and a future.  I recently looked up the original Hebrew word for prosper. I discovered that it doesn’t have the “American” definition of financial wealth, but instead means a satisfied condition, a state of peacefulness, and a sense of well-being.  Taking all of these truths to heart I reflected and searched for the lessons God had for me in this day He had ordained and planned as he knit me together in my mother’s womb.

Here are just some of the lessons the Lord is teaching me through this deadline dilemma:
  • Compassion.   Before opening the email that rocked my world I had spent some time in the Word and praying.  I had asked the Lord to give me more compassion for those around me and especially for those who did not know Him personally.  Reflecting on my phone conversation with Grace, it now caused me to chuckle as I thought about the woman named Grace, who was unable to give me grace.  I was then reminded of God’s grace.  His grace is unearned and unmerited.  He freely offers us a second chance at life and forgives us when we mess-up.  He is always willing to extend the deadline because He doesn’t want anyone to perish, but to live eternally.  However, there will come a day when the offer no longer stands, when there will be no further time given for people to turn to Him and find forgiveness and His marvelous grace.  This thought pierced my heart and filled me with compassion for those who have rejected Jesus’ offer of eternal life.  The Lord was already answering my prayer for compassion – but not in the way I had expected.
  • Trust.  For a brief moment I panicked and thought to myself, “What am I going to do?”  Then the Lord’s unexplainable peace surrounded me.  I now cling to the truth that God planned my days and that Monday was on His calendar, as well as mine.   Quite possibly He had it circled in red as a day I would need to lean completely on Him.  I trust that when God shuts one door that He will open an even better one.  My bad day happened because of something I didn’t do, a choice I made not to go through all my emails on my first day back from Israel.  If I had I would have found the email.  But, I didn’t.  So, I can choose to linger at my own pity party blaming others for my dilemma or  I can choose to trust God to rescue me and work it all out according to His purpose and for His glory.  I am choosing to trust, simply trust. 
  • Margin.  Returning home from a ten-day trip to over 500 unread emails in my inbox tells me that I have a hoarding problem!  I need to unsubscribe to some email lists and delete those emails I have already read.  But, I think it is deeper than emails.  This deadline debacle has shown me once again that I take on way too many things and struggle to do any of them with excellence.  So I am taking the steps to purge my emails, closets, and calendar of the good, the bad, and the ugly.  In my “keep” file will be only the necessary messages, clothing, and appointments that characterize one who excellently lives to glorify God.  I am ready to walk in His spacious place void of  stress and anxiety.

“They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but he LORD was my support.  He brought me out into a spacious place, he rescued me because he delighted in me.”
Psalm 18:18-19

If you have never been offered the grace of God then let me be the first to invite you to live eternally with your Creator Father.  Respond by faith acknowledging that Jesus died, was buried and rose again to purchase for you a new and wonderful life fully satisfied, secure and safe.  Respond while the offer still stands . . .  He lingers not wanting anyone to perish.

Trusting Him,

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment