Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Repeat Your Life in Me


Once Elisha had heard that his mentor Elijah was going to be taken from him, he refused to leave his side.  He said to Elijah, “Not on your life! I’m not letting you out of my sight!” 2 Kings 2:6 (MSG) When the day came for Elijah to be taken up in a whirlwind to heaven, he “took his cloak, rolled it up, and hit the water with it.  The river divided and the two men walked through on dry land." 2 Kings 2:8 (MSG) After performing this miracle he then asked Elisha, “What can I do for you before I’m taken from you?  Ask anything.”  Then Elisha said, “Your life repeated in my life.  I want to be a holy man just like you.” 2 Kings 2:9 (MSG) What a huge request!  Elisha wanted what Elijah had.  He wanted Elisha’s spiritual power and gifting.  He wanted to be holy like Elijah.  Elijah answered, “That’s a hard one! But if you are watching when I’m taken from you, you’ll get what you’ve asked for.  But only if you’re watching.” 2 Kings 2:10 (MSG) If you read the rest of this account in 2 Kings 2 you will see that Elisha got what he wanted.  It wasn’t as if Elisha had just met Elijah and asked for what he had, but they had spent hours upon hours together.  Elijah had led out in ministry and Elisha had not left his side.  He had been watching and learning.  Holiness comes to us not in some magical touch, but in day-by-day contact with the One who is holy. 

As I reflect on my time in Kenya, there is one particular moment that I shall never forget.  The Lord used me in a new way while ministering in Kenya.  I was asked on five different occasions to stand and recite scripture.  This is something that the Lord had called me to do a few years ago after I had been memorizing scripture for many years.  In John 13 after Jesus had washed the disciples feet He told them that they were to wash one another’s feet.  He had set the example and now he called them to do as He had done.  As I studied this passage the Lord showed me that the Word had become flesh in the form of Jesus Christ.  He, the Word had washed the disciples feet in order to show them the full extent of His love and so the Lord called me to wash over people with the Word as a way to follow His example. I have done this at retreats and in my Life Bible study class on Sunday mornings.  But, I had never done it in a worship service before hundreds or thousands of people.  That all changed in Kenya.  Simply speaking aloud the Word of God that I have hidden in my heart has proved to be such a powerful experience.  Peter encourages believers to use whatever gift they have received in order to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace. He goes on to say that if anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God.  (1 Peter 4:10-11) So when I was asked to wash over the congregation with the Word I spoke God’s Word straight from my heart and the Holy Spirit did the work of applying it to the hearts of those who heard, as a healing balm of grace. 
Washing with the Word
Nairobi Chapel
The last time I had the honor of washing over the congregation in Kenya was at Nairobi Chapel.  After the service an invitation was given for anyone who needed prayer to come forward and those on our mission team prayed for them.  As I stood at the end of one of the aisles a young man came forward and wanted to talk with me.  He said, “I want to do what you do.”  I took him aside and asked what he meant.  He said, “I love Jesus with everything I have and I want to do what you do.”  He went on to explain that he wanted to hide God’s Word in his heart so that he could stand before others and minister the Word like I had done.  I spent some time with him explaining how I began simply memorizing one verse a week with the goal of application and retention.  I shared my HOME acrostic that Hiding God’s Word in my heart had given me Ownership of God’s Word and had equipped me to Minister to those in need and as a result I now Experience a deeper and more intimate relationship with Christ.   I cautioned him that it was something that takes time, self-discipline and consistency.  This ministry is developed over time and would not happen overnight.  His heart was right and his desire genuine and my prayer is that he will be able to do what I do, so that more and more people will not only be hearers of the Word but doers also. 

This experience reminded me of Elijah and Elisha.  Elisha wanted Elijah’s life repeated in his.  This young Kenyan man wanted my life repeated in his.  I was only able to spend a few minutes with him, but I am praying that the Lord will give him the desire of his heart.  That he will be hiding God’s Word in his heart for years to come and that God would develop a special gift within him, equipping him to also minister the spoken Word to others. 

This experience also reminded me of God’s promise to do amazing things among us if only we would consecrate ourselves to Him.  Joshua 3:5  It started with a desire to be more consistent in my walk with Christ.  My motivation was a desire to grow in my knowledge and love of Christ.  My goal was simply to gather as much of the Word as I would need to be equipped to defend my faith and overcome temptation.  God has done immeasurably more than I could have ever imagined!  It still amazes me what God can do with a willing heart filled with His Word.  I pray there are many more who will say to me, “I want to do what you do.”  I will always answer with, “It may be difficult, but you can do it!”  I look forward to repeating my life of taking the Word to heart in as many who will ask!  

Keep Feasting on the Word,
Nancy 
Jeremiah 15:16

No comments:

Post a Comment