Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Last Words


A couple of weeks ago while walking on the treadmill I began to think about “endings.”  My husband has often said that many people begin well, but few finish well. As I thought of finishing well, I began to take a mental inventory of some of the books in the Bible and how each one ends.  With each book ending came the ending of someone’s life.  Wouldn’t it be an interesting study to go through and see how some of the great men of scripture finished their lives? I made a mental note to myself that this would be a great study for my Sunday morning ladies Bible class.

After my walk on the treadmill I learned that a dear friend’s wife who had been very ill with cancer was not doing well, and the prognosis looked grim.  In fact, her memorial service was today.  Before going to the service I was praying through what the Lord would have me share with you today and He led me to look at the last recorded words of Joseph, Moses, David, Jesus and Paul.  I made some notes and prepared to go to the memorial service.  It was a very moving, inspiring and God honoring memorial.  Our pastor was the last to speak and he chose 2 Timothy 4:6-8 as his text.  These verses contain some of Paul’s last words before he died!  Paul finished well and encouraged Timothy to do the same.  “For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure.  I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.  Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day – and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.”  After hearing my pastor’s memorial message I knew the Lord was whispering in my ear some “last word lessons” to share with you today. 

 The book of Genesis closes with the end of Joseph’s life.  He had led a life of one trial after another, which began when his own brothers sold him as a servant to foreigners!  However, the Lord used what the brothers had meant for evil to accomplish His good purpose. Joseph could have ended his life with bitterness, unforgiveness and anger, yet his last words were words of comfort and kindness to the very ones who had treated him wickedly. (Genesis 50:20-21) 
Last words lesson:  Do not return evil for evil, but give a blessing instead! (1 Peter 3:9) Your trial today may be someone else’s treasure tomorrow, so instead of cursing your mistreatment look for Jesus to use it for His purpose and someone else’s good. 

Moses spoke his last words in Deuteronomy 32 as he quoted all the words of the Law to the Israelites and told them that the words he had spoken to them were not just idle words, but that these words were their life!  After speaking these words he spoke a blessing over the sons of Israel.  Moses’ last words were God’s words!  In college when we were at a retreat the girls would talk all night if allowed to, so when someone would say, “His Word is the last word” we all knew that someone was to quote a verse and then no further words would be spoken and it was time to go to sleep.  
Last word lesson:  God’s Word brings us life and peaceful rest. Read them, meditate on them, memorize them, and obey them. Let His Word be ever on your lips and the last thing on your minds as you end each day in rest. 

King David’s life ended in praise and prayer.  1 Chronicles 29:20 records David’s last public words as, “Now bless the Lord your God.”  Then his last word to God was a prayer for his son, Solomon.  “Give to my son Solomon a perfect heart to keep Your commandments, Your testimonies and Your statutes, and do them all, and to build the temple, for which I have made provision.”  “Then he died in a ripe old age, full of days, riches, and honor.”  
Last word Lesson:  David ended his life like he lived it: in praise and prayer to the Father.  Live your life today as if it were your last. 

Jesus’ last words before ascending into heaven are reassuring words to all His followers of his power and presence.  “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:18-20) John, the beloved disciple understood the impact of face-to-face communication with others, when he told his friend, “I had many things to write to you, but I am not willing to write them to you with pen and ink, but I hope to see you shortly, and we will speak face to face.” 
Last word lesson:  Empower others with His Word and encourage others with your presence.

Paul lived his life like a poured out water vessel.  He pressed on, fought the good fight, beat his body, fixed his eyes on Jesus and endured much for the sake of the gospel.  Then, he ended every letter he wrote to the believers in various churches with, “Grace be with you.” 
Last word lesson: No matter how hard it gets in life or in ministry, always, always, always end with words of grace. 

May we seek to live lives filled with words that are blessings, life, praise, prayer, encouraging, and always full of grace.  Oh, Lord let us finish well. 

Grace,
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment