Thursday, May 29, 2014

Corralling a Bull


While visiting my sister, who lives in the country, this past Memorial Day weekend, my husband, William, and I laced up our tennis shoes and set out on a walk along green pastures filled with wildflowers, butterflies and bunnies.  It was glorious for us city dwellers to breathe in the fresh air and to hear only the sounds of crickets and birds rather than the constant hum of cars rushing along the freeway located only yards from our city condo.   As we walked along the country road we could see cattle grazing and hear donkeys braying within their fenced pastures. I would stop often to take pictures of the beauty that surrounded me.  As I trudged along in my own little world, I found myself walking ahead of William.  I noticed in the distance an animal standing in the road that appeared to be a deer. I moved ever so slowly trying not to frighten the animal as I turned and motioned to William that there was a deer ahead.  As I drew closer I realized that the deer was no deer at all, but was a bull with horns! I then looked over my shoulder to see a big white ranch truck pulling up beside me and heard the cowboy’s deep voice giving me instructions.  “This bull got out last week and has been wandering the streets.  He won’t hurt you. You all stay here and I will drive past him and try to get him to go in the gate.  If he runs past the gate, do not let him go past you.”   By this time William was standing beside me and I expressed my hesitation and fear of corralling a bull!  I stayed a few steps behind William and tried to be brave. 

The cowboy drove a short distance past the bull and blocked the road.  The bull decided to turn around and head straight toward William and me.  We did not stand our ground at first, but turned around with our tails between our legs and walked quickly away from the bull.  We then heard the cowboy’s voice again instructing us to come back and keep the bull from going any further, while assuring us that it wouldn’t hurt us.  Reluctantly I turned and followed William as we walked toward the bull and the bull toward us.  After a moments standoff the bull turned around and finally discovered the opened gate into a lush green pasture.  He ran into the gate and kept running until he was out of sight.  We had helped corral a bull on our morning walk in the country! 

Reflecting on this experience reminds me of a scripture, of course!  “We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.”  (2 Corinthians 10:5)  Have you ever had to corral your thoughts?  I have . . . many times!   I can have my own personal pity party as I fill my mind with doubts or fearful thoughts.  I can fill my mind with seemingly good thoughts of things I desire, but they crowd out the better thoughts of what others may need.  My thoughts can lead me to jealousy, anger, discouragement, or even pride.  

What I thought was a deer in reality was a bull.  If we are not self-controlled and alert to our thought life we can be led astray like Eve was by the crafty serpent.  The most powerful antidote to wandering and stinkin’ thinkin, as Zig Zigglar would say, is the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God.  To make ones’ thoughts obedient to Christ means to corral them in the confines of His truth.  In other words, are your thoughts lining up with what is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent or praiseworthy?  (Philippians 4:8)  The bull knew he was finally in a safe, secure, and healthy environment as he kept running freely into that beautiful green pasture.  You too, will have a mind that is filled with safe, secure and healthy thoughts if you run toward the truths of the One who said, “I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved.  He will come in and go out, and find pasture.  The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” (John 10:9,10)  Today let’s corral our thoughts and not allow the enemy to lead us astray.  Instead let’s fill our minds with the words of Christ and enjoy living life to the full in His green pastures of truth. 

Happy Trails to You!
Nancy


No comments:

Post a Comment