Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Desperate to Hear


I have really missed my children this week, as it was my first Mother’s Day without seeing either one of them.  I did get to hear their voices on Mother’s Day, which is always comforting, encouraging and hearing their voices assures me of their safety and well being.  But, there is nothing so wonderful as seeing them face-to-face and feeling them wrap their arms around me in a much appreciated hug! 

It was with my heart still tender from the weekend that I received a call last night from my daughter's boyfriend asking me if I had heard from her.  He had been calling her and she had not responded and her business partner had called him after he did not hear from her, as well, after several attempts.  Where does the heart and mind of a mother go after hearing that question?  At first I reasoned that maybe she was working and wasn’t able to answer, but then I realized that I had called her as well that day and she had not answered or returned my call.  Then my mind and heart began to be anxious and worry threatened to overwhelm me.  I voiced my concern to Sarah’s boyfriend and he said he was on his way home, but would go straight to her apartment to check on her.  After hanging up, I cried out to God, asking for His protection, provision and peace!  The minutes seemed like hours as I waited to hear from Sarah or her boyfriend.  Finally after thirty minutes, I get a call from Sarah’s boyfriend saying that she was okay.  That afternoon, she had come home and was not feeling well so she took some allergy medicine that caused her to fall into a deep sleep, of which the ringing of her phone would not wake her from.  He assured me she was fine.  A few minutes later my phone rang and as I answer it I heard the groggy voice of my daughter, saying she was okay and that the medicine she took had knocked her out completely.  I told her we had all been concerned about her and was glad her boyfriend had checked on her.  She replied, “He was really glad to see me!” When you haven’t heard from someone and you are concerned for their welfare you are relieved when you finally hear their voice.  And when you haven’t heard from someone after repeatedly trying to communicate and then you finally come face-to-face with him or her, you are overjoyed!  

This makes me think about what it must have been like during the “silent years” between the completion of the Old Testament and the introduction to the coming of Christ in the New Testament. Hundreds of years went by without a spoken or written word from God.  How wonderful it must have been when Zacharias saw the angel, Gabriel, and heard him speak God’s answer to his prayers for a child.   The truths about God had been handed down for centuries, but to finally see and hear from God Himself was a terrifying experience!  Yet it was the most life changing experience of Zacharias’ life! In his unbelief at what God had spoken to him through the angel he was stricken mute, but in God’s mercy and grace he saw with his eyes and heard with his ears the first cries of his newborn son, John, who would have the great God-given task of ushering in the Messiah! 

What was it like for the disciples who had walked and talked with Jesus for three years only to see Him crucified and buried in a cave, no longer seen or heard by them?  There was a period of three days where they did not see him, touch him, or hear his voice.  Then when He rose from the dead and first appeared to some of his disciples, they didn’t even recognize him!  His appearance may have been somewhat disguised, but I think there is a lesson for us here in why they did not recognize him.  So often we become so comfortable with seeing certain people every day.  We hear their voices, see there faces, and may even sit down at a meal with them each day, yet do we really hear their need or see their burden?  Just as the medication caused Sarah to be in such a hard sleep that she could not see us and could not hear our voices, so too, complacency or rebellion hardens our heart, closes our eyes and seals our ears, so that we are spiritually hardened to the voice of God. 

Not hearing from my daughter for a few hours and not seeing either of my children on Mother’s day reminds me of my desperate need to hear from God and to see Him move in the midst of my every day.  Upon hearing her voice I was reassured of her presence and when her boyfriend saw her he was overjoyed that she was safe and secure.  When we hear the voice of our Savior we are assured of His presence in our lives and overjoyed that we will be safe and secure in His hand forever! 

Jesus said in John 10:27-28, “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.  I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.”   Just as I anxiously waited to hear my daughter’s voice last night, I must also be attentive and alert to hear the voice of the One who has known me since before I was in my mother’s womb! In fact, He says, “Behold I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door.  I will come in to him and will dine with him and he with Me.”  (Revelations 3:20) 

Thank you Lord that you keep knocking at the door of hearts, urging those who believe to receive your gift of eternal life and the gift of hearing your voice today through your living and powerful Word of God. 

Desperately Seeking Him,
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment