Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Nothing New in 2015


On the eve of the New Year my mind seems to be a little “ecclesiastical.”  I am not referring to church here, but the futile thinking of the author of Ecclesiastes.  As I look forward to exploring all the new God has to offer me in 2015 I am also reminded of the statement “so there is nothing new under the sun.” 

“That which has been is that which will be, and that which has been done is that which will be done.  So there is nothing new under the sun.”   Ecclesiastes 1:9

As I reflect on last year I am reminded of all that I did not accomplish and all the things I failed to even begin.  Will 2015 prove to be the same cycle with only new events, people and challenges?  Will life just keep repeating itself until it comes to a final end?  See, I told you I was in a futile frame of mind! 

This posting could really be depressing if I stopped here. But, I have some good news.  Ecclesiastes was written before Jesus! Jesus tells us that apart from Him we can do nothing.  Without Jesus life is totally futile.  No purpose, no passion, no hope for newness.  With Jesus there comes hope, help, and totally new thinking, loving and living!  I am clinging to these truths:

“I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, 
for apart from Me you can do nothing.”  John 15:5

“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; 
and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father.”  John 14:12

So my futile thinking is diminishing as I renew my mind with the words of Jesus, who has overcome and freed us from a hopeless, powerless and purposeless way of life!  I am making a list of the things I want to do better this coming year, knowing that it is only by abiding in Jesus and walking in His powerful name that they will be accomplished.  Some of these I have tried to do before with my own strength, but this year I am clinging and relying on Christ alone. Here are the things I am seeking to do better and greater while abiding in Him:
  • Serve others.
  • Steward my resources.
  • See things through to completion. 

What new thing are you hoping to accomplish in the new year?  What would you like to do better?  It will only be a futile exercise of your own strength unless you abide completely in Christ and walk in the power of the Holy Spirit.  Praying we will do greater works in 2015.  Have a fruitful New Year!

Abiding in Jesus,
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment