Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Doodling: An Advent Adventure


Did you know that playing around with words is now a profession?  I sat down for dinner last night and began to talk with a young woman who I mentor. We got on the subject of “words” and she told me about a workshop she attended called, “Doodling.” She explained that it is brainstorming technique focusing on one word.  While focusing on the word, you look for other words that it may contain or words that are related to it with the goal of expanding your thought processes.  It is suppose to help people move from narrow thinking to more broad and creative thinking.  In fact, she said that people are actually hired by companies to be “doodlers!” They consult with companies training them to “doodle” and thus expand their vision, focus and goals.  As she was explaining doodling to me, I realized that I had doodled that morning, without even knowing I was doodling! I was walking on the treadmill and the word “advent” popped into my mind.  As I thought about the word I realized that advent is part of adventure!  I kept thinking about those two words and wondered if their meanings had anything in common.  And so I began to doodle!

My mind was focused on advent because we are now in the season of Advent, which is the four-week time period leading up to Christmas.  Looking up the meaning of the word I found that it is a noun meaning the arrival of something important or awaited. Another meaning I found was “to come to.”  Advent is the time we anticipate the celebration honoring the coming of the Messiah, Jesus Christ.  It is also the time we are looking forward to His second coming. 

On the other hand, the word adventure as a noun means an exciting experience or a bold undertaking.  The verb usage of adventure involves risk: to risk saying something, put something at risk or risk danger. The meaning of risk is a chance or possibility of something going wrong, something being lost or a chance of danger.  Within adventure the word “venture” is clearly evident.  The word venture also involves risk: to undertake the risks or dangers of a particular task or project.  With no venture there is no adventure.  “Nothing ventured, nothing gained,” is a statement we have all probably heard a time or two! 

Advent leads to adventure – an adventure with no risk on our part! God’s bold adventure in sending Jesus into the world brought about salvation. The Father was the one who took a risk on His creation when He sent His one and only Son to earth as its Messiah, the One who would rescue the world from a life of sin and death.   He risked the world’s rejection of Jesus.  Many rejected Him the first time He came and many are still rejecting His bold move of salvation through crucifixion, burial and resurrection. Waiting on Him is not risky business; it’s smart business! Waiting on God involves the expectation of God doing something bold and exciting, which we know is possible!  God is the God of certainty.  What He says goes!  His promises are guaranteed; His plans and purposes stand for eternity.  As we wait for Christmas and as we wait for Jesus to come a second time there should be excitement, anticipation, and hope of good things to come.

Speaking of good things to come, this year I am not only counting the days until Christmas, but I am also counting the days until my first grandchild will be born!  I am already over the moon in love with sweet Isla Rose.  What an adventure awaits my son and daughter-in-law as they enter the risky venture of parenthood!  There is a chance for failure or of something going wrong, but with no risk comes no reward.  They will be greatly rewarded with the gift of a new life that will bring them great joy and a love beyond comprehension!  While I am waiting on Isla Rose to get here I will not worry over what could go wrong, but will eagerly count the days until we celebrate Christmas – God’s bold adventure to bring about peace in place of fear and life instead of death! Waiting on Jesus is truly the greatest and most profitable adventure of all!


"While we wait for the blessed hope, the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for Himself a people who are His very own, eager to do what is good."  Titus 2:13-14


Waiting,
Nancy 

No comments:

Post a Comment